[MEncoder-users] Trouble reading a DVD

Pepe rvm3000 at ya.com
Mon Oct 2 02:18:43 CEST 2006

El Domingo, 1 de Octubre de 2006 18:39, Aaron Digulla escribió:
> Pepe wrote:
> > Yesterday I recorded a movie in my dvd-recorder. Unfortunately it seems
> > some seconds were bad recorded. When playing in the dvd-recorder, when
> > arrives to that zone it just simply display some big blocks for just a
> > moment, and then everything goes fine. In my other dvd-player, the image
> > freezes and then skips some seconds and the movie goes on.
> >
> > I wanted to pass the movie to xvid, but mplayer (and I think mencoder
> > will do the same) when arrives to the damaged area trys to read the bad
> > sector(s) forever. I have to kill it.
> >
> > Any way to read or just skip those bad seconds?
>
> Try to make a copy of the DVD (for example using dd_rescue or something
> similar). mplayer should be able to play the copy.

Thank you!!! That worked.

At the end only 26 frames were damaged, but dd_rescue took 40 minutes or more
for reading the sectors involved.

Wouldn't it be possible to add a new option to mplayer/mencoder, that if it
detects IO errors then it would skip to the next i-frame (or some seconds),
like a simple dvd-player does? That way you could at least continue watching
the movie.

--
Pepe