[MEncoder-users] [SOLVED] Green boxes on non-computer DVD player

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Tue Nov 28 16:45:59 CET 2006

Giacomo Comes wrote:

>mencoder -endpos $ENDPOS -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts
>format=xvcd -vf scale=480:400,expand=480:576,harddup -srate 44100 -af
>lavcresample=44100 -lavcopts
>vcodec=mpeg2video:mbd=2:keyint=15:vrc_buf_size=917:vrc_minrate=600:vbitrate=2500:
>vrc_maxrate=2500:acodec=mp2:abitrate=224
>-ofps 25 -o "$2_nostrict_svcd.mpg" "$1"
>
>vcdimager -t vcd2 (mpg file)

OK, that worked. My DVD player was fooled to recognize the disc as VCD,
and was then force-fed with MPEG2 in SVCD style. Nothing I would do for
real life purposes, but since you're curious to know about our green
boxes...

>My guess now is that vstrict=0 is necessary for MPEG2 video, therefore Eli should
>be able to see the green block if he does not use vstrict=0 with the SVCD
>with header trick.

And so it was: Green boxes appeared in the (fake) SVCD for which no
vstrict option was given. I'm under the impression that they were more
rare on the SVCD disc compared with plain DVD. It took some effort to
catch them. It seems to me that it has to do with the fact that the
boxes always appear in the lower part of the image, and that the SVCD
format's image is smaller.

But frankly, with the prices of DVD blank discs today, I see no reason
to use SVCD nor VCD anymore. So with this experiment coming to its
successful end, and a solution for the original problem handy, I think
it's time to leave the green boxes in peace. ;)

I've been asking myself why there's a divertion from the strict standard
at all. Even as an option, there's always a chance that someone will
unawaringly turn the obscure option into default, making people all over
the world bang their heads trying to understand what went wrong. Is the
possible improvement in bitrate and/or image quality really worth it?

    Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il