[MEncoder-users] Subtitle outlines when encoding "Whisper of the Heart"

Grant Wagner kithera at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 18:33:21 CET 2006

Hey all,

 I'm having some difficulty encoding Whisper of the Heart to a low res avi for playback on a pda using The Core Pocket Media Player. Using the following options generates a nice file, but the subtitles which are burned into the screen are hollow, meaning a white outline and an transparent center. How can I correct this? As a side note, should I play it in mplayer with the same video flags and filters, the sub titles are hollow there to. Playing at a standard size is fine.

mencoder.exe dvd://16  -vf crop=720:448:0:14,scale  -zoom -xy 320 -o vid.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=extreme -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4 -sid 1 -alang ja -af volnorm=1:1.0

Could it have something to do with the zoom command and is it truely needed? What will be the effect if I remove it?

Thanks,
Grant