[MEncoder-users] High quality MPEG4 encoding of interlaced DV source

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 08:44:33 CET 2006

> Both files are about the same size,
> - as expected, tfields yields to *much* more smoothness in the motion (kayak
> gliding and the rider paddling)
> - yadif *seems* a bit sharper (or with apparent more resolution) than the
> frames from tfields upscaled to 576 lines. I was surprised by yadif default
> results, as yadif=3:1,mcdeint=2 wasn't as good (left combing artifacts)
>
> the two versions are here (temporary storage) :
> http://dl-1.free.fr/52616e646f6d4956ccde8c6063ef06dde6ef5c8284874c2c3bd1fb834eaae4c1/132-xvid-vbr4000-tfields4.avi
> http://dl-3.free.fr/52616e646f6d49561f2350dc346d040d2ff2d1dd9125f2195db2e1be173b5c06/132-xvid-vbr4000-yadif.avi

I took a look at these files, compared to your original DV and as a
very frequent user of the yadif commandline to actually deinterlace
realtime TV viewing, I can tell you that Pepe left out a crucial
option to the yadif filter to make it properly give you the framerate
you desire.

The options to get things looking better:
-fps 50 -ofps 50 -vf yadif=3
thats all you need to add somewhere in the command line. Mode '3'
makes yadif send 1 full frame for each field, whereas the default
behavior is to send 1 deinterlaced frame per 2 fields. you have to
force the framerates else the extra frames will make video playback
half speed.

Mike