[MEncoder-users] framerate control question

rob pfile pfile at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 21 21:56:22 CET 2006

Trent Piepho wrote:

> How are you removing 3 out of 5 frames?  Could it be some problem
> where not
> enough frames are getting dropped by whatever you are using to do
> inverse
> telecine?  Of if it's ending up short, maybe too many frames are
> getting
> dropped?

well, i took a look at how people were doing it in avisynth, and i
put together something similar. first i hacked decimate to drop all
of the odd frames, which emulates SelectEven(). then i hacked divtc
pass 2 to look at the divtc pass1 logfile and drop the most similar
frame out of each group of 5, emulating Decimate(5). so right now its
a 3-pass solution but if i can get it working i was going to try to
hack divtc pass 1 to do the SelectEven() and framediff all at once.

i'm almost 100% certain that i've got the exact right number of
frames when the process is all over, but i'll go double-check that.

> > i'm wondering how in heck to get a nice smooth 24p version of a 60p
> > ATSC transmission which doesnt require timestretching the audio.
>
> I wrote a filter that does the inverse telecine for progressive
> content
> (drops the duplicate frames) and encode with -ofps 24000/1001 -mc .
> 042 and
> it appears to work very well.  I'm using -oac copy to preserve the
> original
> AC3 audio.

so it sounds like i'm reinventing your wheel. to be quite honest i
dont yet understand exactly what -mc does. but of course 0.042 is
roughly the display time of one 24000/1001 frame. i'll give it a try.

thanks,

rob