[MEncoder-users] Why Mencoder's mpeg output can not be

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Nov 20 08:20:20 CET 2006

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 23:59:15 -0400
Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu> wrote:

> The reason is that the mplayer's mpeg muxer does not mux to a standard
> VCD format, but to a XVCD. In the past the solution was to remux audio
> and video with mplex. After the remuxing you are able to play the mpeg
> with fresh windows.

I tried encoding with -of mpeg and "format=mpeg1" and found that WMP
won't play it...
That's EXTREMELY strange, since that exact same procedure worked a while
back:

Re: [MPlayer-users] Having trouble producing mpeg from mov

I don't recal the Mencoder version, but to prove I wasn't halucinating,
I still have the files on my hard drive, and they still work under WMP.

Looks like the improvements in (S)VCD muxing caused regressions in
software player compatibility.