[MEncoder-users] Help with lossy encoding.

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Nov 16 05:17:38 CET 2006

RC wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:40:06 -0500
> "Keith McLaughlin" <kmclau at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I still see a significant decrease in image quality in the mpeg/avi. I
>> have uploaded 20 of the frames in a tarball to
>> http://myweb.usf.edu/~kmclaugh/binary/jpegs.tar.gz
>>
>> If anyone could please take a look and see if he/she can encode
>> without such a major loss of quality, it would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> Even with the most basic command-line, everything worked perfectly.
>  Except that 110-3.20-030-montage.jpg is corrupt.

Yeah, it's a tar file of the rest of the jpegs. :)

Anyway, there's a lossy colorspace conversion from YUV 4:4:4 to 4:2:0
that happens before the encoding, even with lossless jpeg. Still, that
difference is nearly imperceptible to me, so I'm guessing that you're
doing something else to lose the quality. If you can't get better
results from what RC posted, then you'll have to post the command line
you're using so we can see what you can do differently.

-Corey