[MEncoder-users] cartoon encoding with libavcodec

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Tue Nov 14 22:13:11 CET 2006

Giacomo Comes wrote:
> Can anybody give some recomendations for anime encoding with libavcodec?
> xvid has a specific option: cartoon, but libavcodec doesn't have anything specific.
> In the html documentation the only suggestions are:
> cmp and subcmp: 2, vlelim and vcelim untouched.
>
> Are these options sufficient or there are others that can be used?

IMHO, the most important thing for anime encoding is to use hqdn3d
with agressive values like 5:5:5. Other than that, I use the usual
high-quality lavc options, and yadif if the source has been mangled
by somebody beforehand, or if it's VHS. If you see any ringing in
your encodes, up the hqdn3d values. Basically I crank up hqdn3d
until I start to see artifacts, and then back off.