[MEncoder-users] Re: MEncoder mangles video after aspect ratio change

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed Nov 1 21:32:01 CET 2006

Zed wrote:
> > Well, since other people are apparently doing similar encoding with no
> > such problems, it's up to you to provide more info on your specific
> > problem (full verbose output, command-line, video info, a short sample,
> > etc).
>   I found the problem! It is with the DECODER not the encoder.
>   The Mplayer/MEncoder decoder for TS streams is broken. The decoder will
>   mangle the decoded video after an aspect ratio change.
>
>   You can easily verify this bug with this sample (1.6M, 3 sec.)
>   http://zzuser.tripod.com/ww.ts
>
>   First open it with VLC. OK, not problem. Then open it with Mplayer. Presto,
> mangled output on aspect ratio change.
>
>   Any thoughts on fixes?

Interesting. When I play it with ffplay, I don't see the splash
screen, and ffplay reports:

pehrens at tarazed ~:>>ffplay http://zzuser.tripod.com/ww.ts
[mpeg2video @ 0x48d228]ac-tex damaged at 43 25
[mpeg2video @ 0x48d228]Warning MVs not available
[mpeg2video @ 0x48d228]concealing 44 DC, 44 AC, 44 MV errors

When I play it with mplayer I see the broken splash screen, and then
the second part of the sample shows typical geometry miscalculation
distortion.

Interesting part of mplayer output:

A:62802.2 V:62802.2 A-V: -0.024 ct: -0.272  71/ 71  8%  0%  0.8% 3 0 0%
Broken frame at 0x15E22
A:62802.5 V:62802.8 A-V: -0.301 ct: -0.311  86/ 86  8%  0%  0.7% 3 0 0%

It looks to me like the two parts of the source have different
geometry, and the first part is damaged besides. Neither ffplay
nor mplayer can play the entire stream.