[MEncoder-users] MEncoder mangles video after aspect ratio change

Zed zzuser at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 10:48:05 CET 2006

Hi everybody!

I have a problem with encoding free to air DVB-T TS files to other formats.
I've tried x264 and Xvid so far. The problem is that as soon as the aspect
ratio of the source video changes from 4:3 (commersials) to 16:9 (TV
content)  MEncoder mangles the video. The resulting mangled video consists
of slightly upward sloaping bands of different textures, I suppose as a
result of the wrong offset to the video data due to trying to encode at
the wrong aspect ratio. Burned in subtitles show up as black and white
treadmarks over the bottom half of the picture.

I've tried the MEncoder264 frontend on WinXP as well as direct encoding
with mencoder using WinXP and Linux.

I've tried the tips in 13.10. Preserving aspect ratio at
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/aspect.html with the same results

mencoder sample-svcd.mpg -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:autoaspect -vf crop=714:548:0:14 -oac copy
-o output.avi

Any solutions or suggestions?

- Zed