[MEncoder-users] What's the special about the I-frames in libavcodec?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 00:03:34 CET 2006

Pepe wrote:

> I have a dvd recorder Samsumg HR-725, with support for playing divx
> videos.
>
> It plays well the videos I created with mencoder using xvid. It also
> plays ok videos I downloaded from internet with DX50 fourcc (I think
> they are divx).
>
> But if I use libavcodec then there's a strange effect: it seems the
> I-frames are not displayed, so the image is merging with the previous
> scene.

I have not seen this with any AVI or MPEG-4 files, but it sounds like a
description of something I've noticed repeatedly (though not, that I
recall, recently) in WMV files obtained off of the Internet - usually
Japanese-language trailer clips for upcoming anime. I never tested any
of them with anything but lavc for decoding, but it's possible that the
problem is the same. (None of the filesones I have now seem to exhibit
the problem, so it also may not be, but I don't see why I would have
kept ones which did.)

Strictly speaking, your inquiry belongs over on the ffmpeg-user mailing
list, because libavcodec is part of the FFmpeg project; it's closely
interrelated with the MPlayer project, but they are not the same.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.