[MEncoder-users] New Mencoder user: questions about some details

Everett everettraygun at gmail.com
Sun May 28 22:15:33 CEST 2006

> On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 04:42:33PM -0700, RC wrote:
> > > Q3: Let's say I end up with a 1.400 MB .avi file. How do I manage to
> > > split that, so it fits on two CD's?
> >
> > With mencoder, you can use -sb/-ss along with -endpos, but it's a lot of
> > work and trial and error to get it just right.

I believe there are options that you can use to split as you encode.  I forget
what they are now.
With your avi already recorded, I would put it in a matroska container and
then split it.  Find mkvtoolnix and use mkvmerge.  I found this to be really
useful software for a lot of things, like adjusting audio sync problems,
adding audio/subtitle tracks,  and also splitting and reassembling files.
It's more specifically useful for those things than mencoder is, if you can
do it with mencoder you will be reading a big man file to figure it out.
hope that's helpful.