[MEncoder-users] New Mencoder user: questions about some details

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun May 28 01:42:33 CEST 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006 15:53:22 +0200
Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:

> Q1: given a certain DVD title, how do I calculate the bitrate for a
> certain given file size?

($FINALSIZE_KB - ( ($AUDIO_KbitRATE / 8) * $LENGTH_SEC) ) * 8 ) /
$LENGTH_SEC = VB_RATE

> So am I right in thinking that I can compress the sound simply by
> using -oac mp3lame -lameopts [...]?

Yes.

> Q3: Let's say I end up with a 1.400 MB .avi file. How do I manage to
> split that, so it fits on two CD's?

With mencoder, you can use -sb/-ss along with -endpos, but it's a lot of
work and trial and error to get it just right.

I find using avisplit from transcode/TOOLS much easier.  The tools will
statically link, so you need to compile all of the transcode source, but
you can just copy/install avisplit, and delete the rest.