[MEncoder-users] FGS (Fine Granular Scalability) in mencoder

Guilherme Dutra Gonzaga Jaime gdjaime at land.ufrj.br
Thu May 11 20:28:46 CEST 2006

Hi Folks,

   I know that MPEG4 includes a neat feature that enables a user to
encode a input video stream to an output MPEG4 stream which includes a
base layer and a enhacement layer.
   The base layer is a (generally) low quality stream and the enhacement
layer includes the bits necessary to increase the video quality provided
by the base layer.
   A video server (stored stream) may send the base layer tot he client
and then choose how much of the enhacement layer to send (i.e.: To fit
to the network conditions).
   I've looking for the right options on the command line guides of
mencoder to turn this feature ON, but I failed to do so. The only thing
I think is near to this idea is the "two pass" coding presented by many
"howto"s.
  Is there anyone who could give me some information about enabling the
MPEG4 FGS feature through mencoder?

Best Regads, Guilherme Jaime.