[MEncoder-users] Extracting DVD-audio?

Hassel, Scott Scott.Hassel at bcbsfl.com
Wed May 3 15:34:06 CEST 2006

I'm wondering if your terminology (DVD-audio) isn't confusing people as
this SHOULD be simple.

As this is nothing more than a regular DVD and the AUDIO_TS directory is
empty then the audio is probably stored as audio attached to a video
piece on the DVD ( all this is supposition as I don't have the "I Love
Lucy" DVD).

Anyway, if you could, I would you suggest that you run:

mplayer dvd://1 -frames 0 -identify

If you post it here maybe we can help with selecting the right
audio/video track. Once you have selected the correct information
audio/video track you can use a command similar to this to extract to a
wav file if you wish.

mplayer dvd://# -aid # -vo null -ao pcm:file="filename"

-aid selects the audio track you want to listen to and will be listed by
the previous command. Default audio on most DVD titles is 128 and is
usually increased by 1 for each alternate track (129,130,etc.). Please
remember that you can have different audio sets for each dvd://#.
-vo null does exactly what it sounds like "no video out"
-ao tells mplayer to decode audio as straight pcm (wav file format) and
save to file "filename"

Well, I hope this helps.