[MEncoder-users] CPU-friendly-est "audio only" hack?

Walter Belhaven wbelhaven at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 21 05:41:18 CET 2006

Hi,

I realize that mencoder isn't set up to transcode "audio only", as
discussed in the documentation.  The TOOLS/aconvert script referenced
in the docs makes use of a cute "-rawvideo on" trick to supply video,
but it appears that option is no longer supported as of the CVS build I
did a couple of days ago:

  MEncoder dev-CVS-060318-12:35-3.4.4 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
  CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Celeron 4 Northwood; Pentium 4 EE/Xeon \
    Prestonia,Gallatin (Family: 15, Stepping: 9)
  CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
  Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

  Option rawvideo: Unknown suboption on

I assume the purpose of that option from antiquity is to generate, very
efficiently, a constant stream of video frames while mencoder merrily
transcodes audio.  What is the most "CPU friendly" way in the modern
era to do likewise?  Reading video from a file is undesirable, as the
audio trancoding process is already, for me, an I/O bound operation.

Thoughts?

WB