[MEncoder-users] Hardcoding .sub subtitles into movie

Phil Payne phil at payneinthe.com
Fri Mar 17 19:59:42 CET 2006

Phil Ehrens wrote:

>Phil Payne wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have an  avi with .sub subtitles.
>>
>>Is there anyway to re-encode the avi to hard-code the subtitles into the
>>movie stream e.g. so I can watch it on a rather low-featured external
>>divx player?
>>
>>If I include -sub on the mencoder commandline this have worked in the
>>past with .srt format subtitles but does not work with .sub
>>

>if the avi is called foo.avi and you have the files foo.idx and foo.sub:
>
>mencoder ... -sub foo -vobsubid N ...
>
>Where N is the index of the sub stream you want. Sometimes you need to
>use the -sid and/or -slang options as well, not sure why (and it may be
>mencoder version specific).

Doesn't look like -vobsubid is a valid cmd line for my version:

MEncoder SuSE Linux 10.0 (i686)-Packman-4.0.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon Willamette (Family: 8, Stepping: 2)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
CPUflags: Type: 8 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
--disable-runtime-cpudetection.
File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Failed to open frameno.avi
vobsubid is not an MEncoder option

Tried it with -sid and/or -slang en instead. mencoder runs perfectly
well but no subs in finished file.

Should I try a different mplayer version (e.g. cvs) or is hardcoding
subs from .sub not available?

Cheers,
Phil.