[MEncoder-users] xvid second pass

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Mar 6 11:09:52 CET 2006

On Monday, 06 March 2006 at 00:40, Marco wrote:
> > As suggested, bitrate should be specified for the second pass.
>
> Maybe I found a wrong HOWTO
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mencoder_Introduction_Guide
>
> [...]
>
> *  Audio preprocessing
> mencoder dvd://1 -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi
> * First pass
> mencoder dvd://1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 -o /dev/null
> * Second pass
> mencoder dvd://1 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2 -o <filename.avi>
>
> What is that audio preprocessing step for?

It was a technique that has since been obsoleted, because we found that
it could lead to A/V desync. It is recommended to encode audio with
every pass.

> Why wasn't specified any bitrate?

Ask the author of that guide.

> Could it work?

Obviously not. Also, I'm sure you have noticed the commands are incomplete
and RTFM is required.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression