[MEncoder-users] Codec for Home Movies

BAsh Bash bash685 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 24 09:59:31 CEST 2006

I have an ancient handycam from Sony and a box full of tapes. What I want to
do is convert them to digital in a format that can be later be reencoded
again if needed and burnt onto DVD. These tapes are irreplaceable and as
such I wanted a lossless codec for both audio and video. I have a BT878
capture card and using streamer I have dumped the data onto disk, at
something like a 1 GB per 15mins its not very efficent. Due to the PAL
format between the computer and the camera, they are interlaced as well.

What I want to do is convert the avi file into something more managable
without lossing much data and also to deinterlace them. The -vf pullup,pp=md
option dosn't provide great video so I'll need something better (but
probably slower - this dosn't matter). I'm not sure what format streamer is
outputing but here is the result of midentify:

ID_VIDEO_ID=0
ID_AUDIO_ID=1
ID_FILENAME=*
ID_DEMUXER=avi
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=MJPG
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=25115672
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=720
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=576
ID_VIDEO_FPS=25.000
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=pcm
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=1
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=2944000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=92000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_LENGTH=1029.60
ID_VIDEO_CODEC=ffmjpeg

I realize the codec for DVD is mpeg2 but I have heard its not very efficent
and so I was looking for something better and smaller.

Don't make me use Virtualdub!!