[MEncoder-users] encode video for ipaq

Eli Crumrine zybhjk at verizon.net
Thu Jun 22 23:18:07 CEST 2006

ml at robmunro.net | Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:09:24 -0400 (EDT)

> hi there,
>     I am trying to reencode podcast to watch on my ipaq and was
> wondering if anyone has tried to do this before - ii have been
> trying:- "mencoder.exe" -ovc lavc -oac pcm -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4
> -endpos 20  -o "C:\Documents and Settings\munror\My
> Documents\podcast\rb_06_jun_19_out.avi" "C:\Documents and
> Settings\munror\My Documents\podcast\rb_06_jun_19.MP4"
>
> i have tried loads of othe vcodec options
> (mjpeg,mpeg4,msmpeg4,msmpeg4v2,wmv1,wmv2) but without success. the
> files are ok on my pc but no dice on the ipaq.
>
> anyone tried to do this before?

There are several things wrong here.  First of all, you almost
certainly want vcodec=mpeg4, msmpeg4 is old and inferior.  You probably
want to specify a bitrate with :vbitrate=blah, so you can control the
amount of space the resulting file takes up on your (portable) device.
Look at the mplayer manpage or DOCS on mplayerhq.hu to see other video
encoding options.

libavcodec mpeg4 will also produce a file with a fourcc of FMP4.  It is
unlikely that your media player can play this, so add -ffourcc XVID to
your command line.

Additionally, you will need to know if there are any particular
requirements your ipaq media player has for video files.  Bitrate,
framerate, audio format, etc.

If you are not doing to already, I would recommend you try
http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about as your media player.

--
Eli C.
2006:06:22