[MEncoder-users] audio sync problems encoding from vob

Christopher M. Jones cjones at partialflow.com
Thu Jun 22 13:52:01 CEST 2006

Yes, it did create an avi. My mistake.

However, I did follow the instructions on this page, and when I use
them, e.g., the line further down on the page

mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf
scale=720:480,\
  harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:\
  vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=18:acodec=ac3:\
  abitrate=192:aspect=16/9 -ofps 30000/1001 \
  -o movie.mpg movie.avi

I get many many duplicate frame messages and the file is way out of sync. Using
avisync on the resulting file gives me periods of noise in the file. The best
results came from the line I quoted earlier,

mencoder -o 01_firstcontact.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=5000:vhq:acodec=ac3  -oac lavc  -srate 48000
-ofps 24000/1001 VTS_01_1.VOB

Only a handful of duplicate warnings at the very beginning, one skipped
frame, and an -almost- perfect sync when played in mplayer, perfect in
vlc and xine.