[MEncoder-users] Re: Now mmx seg fault

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Tue Jun 13 21:49:58 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <dominik at rangers.eu.org>

>Who told you that? My amd64 supports MMX just fine.

>From Wikipedia:

"Since SSE and SSE2 are generally faster than, and duplicate most of
the features of, the traditional x87 instructions, MMX, and 3DNow!, the
latter are redundant under AMD64."

"SSE2 replaces the x87 instruction set's IEEE 80-bit precision, with
the choice of either IEEE 32-bit or 64-bit floating-point math"

There was an article about how they still support MMX, but it's through
the use of SSEx instead of actually having MMX.  I can't find the link
tho.  MMX is not as useful as SSE anyway.  I'm not sure what this means
 from a programmer's point of view.  I would assume that the MMX calls
are handled transparently, but I dunno.  I'm not a programmer.