[MEncoder-users] Video Quality

Larry larrywyb at widgeteye.homeip.net
Tue Jun 13 03:21:56 CEST 2006

When I record from the TV I get a fair picture at 320x240 using -ovc lavc
but when I record at 640x480 the picture degrades pretty much with that
swimmy looking picture when people move around. I hope you know what I mean
by swimmy looking.  :) I don't know what else to call it.

Anyway when I use -ovc copy the picture is great, the only problem is that
the file size is monstrous, 16 gig for a 15 minute recording.  WOOF!

Here's my mencoder record script command:

/usr/local/bin/mencoder  tv://$1 -tv driver=v4l:width=640:height=480: \
forceaudio:forcechan=2:norm=ntsc:chanlist=us-cable -oac mp3lame \
-ovc lavc -endpos $2 -o $3

Is there anything I can do to increase the quality? I've tried several
codecs with not much difference.

Thanks 16 gig.  :)

Widgeteye

--
LINUX is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity.