[MEncoder-users] Trying to understand the meaning of "Cannot set LAME options" message

João Costa joaocosta at zonalivre.org
Mon Jun 12 10:13:26 CEST 2006

I am successfully using the following command to convert files to FLV
format.

mencoder video.wmv -of lavf -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=flv \
         -o video.flv -oac mp3lame -af channels=1:0:0 -channels 1 \
     -lameopts cbr:br=32 -ofps 24.75

However, for one specific file, the above command will fail with :

"Cannot set LAME options, check bitrate/samplerate,some very low
bitrates (<32)
need lower samplerates (i.e. -srate 8000).If everything else fails,
try a preset."

So I tried adding the -srate 8000 option, and it does convert the file,
but sound quality degrades very significantly.

The midentify output for this video file is the following:

ID_AUDIO_ID=1
ID_VIDEO_ID=2
ID_FILENAME="video.wmv"
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=WMV3
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=320
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=240
ID_VIDEO_FPS=1000.000
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=ffwmav2
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=353
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=32000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=32000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_LENGTH=628

I've tried using different values for -srate (11050, 22100, 32000,
44200), but
either receive the same "Cannot set LAME options" error message, or a
floating
point exception.

Is there a way I can convert this, using a audio sample rate better than
8000 ?