[MEncoder-users] Mencoder: Embedding DVD subtitles in to output audio stream

Fredrik Eriksson feffese at yahoo.se
Sat Jun 10 21:34:08 CEST 2006

On Jun 10, 2006, at 20:58, Serhiy Tkachenko wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to encode a file with mencoder. I have .idx
> and .sub DVD subtitles for it and I need to embed them
> into output video so I don't have to distribute those
> files separately with the movie.
>
> -sub option does not work in this case (can not
> determine subtitle file format) and
> -vobsub option does not work either because it's not
> mencoder option.
>
> However, -vobsub option works in mplayer and I can see
> my subtitles. I always use -slang en option.
>
> How can I solve this problem ?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Serg

Hello.

Unless you *have* to hardcode the subtitles, you can always use
mkvmerge (part of mkvtoolnix) to mux the video and subtitle to an mkv
file, then you can play the file with or without subtitles. If you
want to hardcode them you can mux it to a mkv file anyway, and then
reencode with the subtitles enabled, unless anyone has a better
suggestion (I never hardcode subtitles so I don't know).

Fredrik Eriksson