[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Tue Jun 6 19:28:26 CEST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Ehrens <phil at slug.org>

>>  larrystotler at netscape.net wrote:
>>
>> That's the problem.  No one seems to know the answer.

>Don't be such a troll. The problem is that you don't know
>what question you want to ask.

That's unneccesary and rude.  I asked the question as well as I know
how.  Mencoder is a very complicated piece of software with many
options for doing many different things.  However, no one seems to know
what the sweet spot is for the processor's L2 cache.  Is it 128k?
256k? 512k?,etc.  If the program will show much better results with a
processor using 512k cache over one using 256k cache, then that will
help out in building a system with maximum potential.  I have a feeling
that upgrading to a MB with DDR would show higher performance, but I
would like to know the answer before I shell out any $$.  I'm a
professional satellite installer and I get paid well to do what I do.
But I have no qualms about helping people on the lists and forums I am
on in selecting the right tool for the job.  That's all I am asking
here.  What's the best setup?  P4?  Athlon?  256k L2?  Things like
that.  If the current level of performance I am getting is it, then
that is also the answer I may end up with.

I've searched the web for months for this type of answer before I asked
here on this list.