[MEncoder-users] Fwd: Questions on Mencoder performace

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Tue Jun 6 01:37:21 CEST 2006

larrystotler at netscape.net wrote:
> [...]

lavc mpeg4 works exactly as well as xvid on slower machines. Only h264
will really kill you on a slower machine (It seems to use about 10x as
much cpu when viewing with mplayer).

> As for '-oac copy' that just copies the MP2 audio.  That would make the
> file size larger than using MP3,correct?  Will that work better on a
> slower system?

It will make no difference, AFAIK. The size for mp2 will be the
same as for CBR mp3 at the same bitrate. I think I remember being
able to watch video on my P266 laptop with only a few dropped frames.

> A friend has a P4 Xeon 2.8Ghz, and he gets around 50 first pass and
> 25-30 second pass.  That's why I am wondering.  We haven't been able to
> check since his system is a Xeon and mine isn't....

Those are the kinds of numbers I would expect to see with lavc.