[MEncoder-users] How to Change FPS on a Broken TS Stream?

Jeff Clagg snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Mon Jun 5 20:07:42 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 12:58:31AM -0700, Bill Adams wrote:

> The reason that I want to encode the material to 1280x720 is that is the
> native resolution of my projector.

Why not just do scaling on playback, then?

Relatedly, why do you need mpeg2 video in program stream?

> > The strange thing about this capture is that there are many video
> > packets full of zeros. There are also no null packets - how exactly did
> > you capture it?
>
> I use a version of getatsc (dvb-atsc-tools
> http://www.pchdtv.com/downloads.html) that I hacked to filter out
> specific PIDs.

My guess is you introduced a bug that's corrupting the video stream (and
maybe causing other problems that I didn't notice).

> The hack that I did writes all packets to the disks
> except the ones for the PIDs of the sub-channels I do not want

That sounds backwards...

> before I realized that mencoder could filter on PIDs too). If anyone
> wants, I can email my version of getatsc.c. As it turns out, the stock
> version of getatsc has the same problem where mencoder reports a funny
> fps for full stream captures. My guess is that something needs to be
> filtered from the stream that is not getting filtered.
>
> A question: How did you find these video packets full of zeros?

hex editor

> Is there
> an easy way I can filter them without breaking the video stream?

There's no tool specifically designed for it, because the problem never
comes up.

> RTFM link)? I have a strange feeling that if I get rid of those
> packets/video frames (or fix getatsc to properly detect null packets)
> the problem I see will go away.

There are tons of utils out there that do proper packet filtering
without messing anything up.