[MEncoder-users] Mencoded divx won't play on standalone player

Markus markus at wearethem.com
Mon Jun 5 04:03:52 CEST 2006

 Hi all, first post.

 I'm a total newb at mencoder, so there is a really good chance this is
something simple I am missing. That being said, here's the problem -

 I tried over and over again all night to get an output file that will
play on my Yahoo branded divx player and nothing works. I tried both
from a dvd rip and from an existing avi file and no luck. All output
files play fine on my computer in mplayer.  The best I can get is audio
only when using the msmeg4 codec using lavc. Regular mpeg4 doesn't play
at all. Here's an example command line:

 mencoder dvd://1 -aid 128 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:vbitrate=1200:vpass=1 -vop scale -zoom -xy 800  -oac
mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128  -o Dogville.avi

The output file plays fine and with great quality on my computer, which
is running slackware 10.1 and the latest non-CVS mplayer built from
source, just fyi.

 Any help/advice/rtfm appreciated,

Markus