[MEncoder-users] subfont text scale

Robert 2600 robert2600 at linuxmail.org
Mon Jul 31 13:34:36 CEST 2006

> Using a command like:
> mencoder inputfilm.avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -sub inputsub.srt
> -subfont-text-scale 3 -o outputfilm.avi
> puts subtitles into the film but appears to ignore the subtitle
> scale, the subtitles comes out too big irrespective of the scale.
> I am using a .ttf true type font and have success at changing the
> size of the subtitles when I play the inputfilm.avi with mplayer but
> not when I use mencoder.

> I removed the fonts in
> /usr/share/mplayer
> to force it to use my
> ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf

Apologies and corrections,

I have now found the source of the problem, the "dash" in the command was the wrong type.  That's what you get for cutting and pasting from the man page.  Don't you hate that?

So, for clarity, the following command will put subtitles at size 3%:
mencoder inputfilm.avi -ovc lavc -oac lavc -sub inputsub.srt -subfont-text-scale 3 -o outputfilm.avi

It is not necessary to modify the config file nor to use a "-font" in the command, but you do need to use .ttf fonts.

cheers