[MEncoder-users] mencoder ignores mf h/w (height/width) options?

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sun Jul 16 08:48:42 CEST 2006

Rich Felker schrieb:
> On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 05:06:17PM +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I've got a number of JPEG files in a directory, which are all 2816x1872
>> pixels big. I then encoded those JPEGs into a MPEG4 file with mencoder:
>>
>> $ mencoder 'mf://*jpg' -mf w=800:h=532:fps=2:type=jpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
>> 	vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:trell:mpeg_quant:mv0:cbp:qprd:vbitrate=80 -oac \
>> 	copy -o aus.avi
>
> [...]
>
>> As you can see, mplayer detected a video with a size of 2816x1872 pixels.
>>
>> But shouldn't the "-mf h" and "-mf w" options control the output
>> h/w? In "man mencoder" I find:
>
> No, absolutely not. They tell the mf demuxer the _input_ width and
> height for cases where it can't be automatically determined.

Ah, okay, so it's just the documentation that's buggy. Because the
documentation says:

        -mf <option1:option2:...>
               Used when decoding from multiple PNG or JPEG files.

               Available options are:

                  w=<value>
                       output width (default: autodetect)
                  h=<value>
                       output height (default: autodetect)

See? It says *OUTPUT* width/height.

Where should I report this error?

> If you want to resize the video you need to use the scale filter like
> always.

Care to expand on that?

Alexander Skwar
--
<Knghtbrd> Yorick: no problem with indexed color palettes for images, as
            long as you can pick the palette