[MEncoder-users] Please help: Scale, expand and aspect

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jul 9 01:59:49 CEST 2006

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 23:22:15 +0200
Magnus Karlsson <magnus.m.karlsson at spray.se> wrote:

> I simply want to rip my DVD:s to DivX movies with correct aspect.
> However I get egg-headed people all the time on a 4:3 fullscreen
> movie.

> Please help me out to calculate the scale and expand values.

Why?  You really don't need to understand how it works.

If you want square pixels, use "-vf scale=-1:-2", or if you want to
scale the height to 480 and have the width automatically selected to get
square pixels, use "scale=-2:480"

If you want to add black bars to make the video fit a 4:3 aspect, just
use "-vf expand=aspect=4/3" (then scale to VCD/SVCD/DVD
resolution).

If you don't specifically want either of the above, just use "-lavcopts
autoaspect" and it will select the correct aspect ratio for you.

Is there some reason that won't work for you, and you really need to
know how to calculate this?