[MEncoder-users] Display size vs bitrate vs resolution vs codec

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Tue Jul 4 19:55:59 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'd like to develop an application that advises which bitrate and resolution
you should use to encode a video with a given codec and a target display
size. It should be possible to set a maximum file size for the encoded video.

* Example 1 (easy):
   - I have a 42'' LCD whose native resolution is 1920 x 1080
   - I want to use MPEG-2 to encode the video
   - I do not set a restriction of size for the encoded video file.

  The application would tell me to use the MP at HL profile (resolution:
1920x1080, 80 Mbps, etc)

* Example 2 (not-so-easy):
   - I have a 32'' LCD whose native resolution is 1280x1024
   - I want to use Theora to encode the video
   - I want the file to be smaller than X MB

   The application should tell me (I don't know!)

I know the solution for these problems is usually guessed through people's
interviews: you encode the same file in different resolutions, bitrates,
codecs, you display it with different display sizes (15'', 20'', etc) and you
ask people what they think. Then you would statistically study the answers
and get approximate equations.

My problem is I don't have the resources to conduct such a study and I'm
pretty sure someone has performed those studies before I thought of that. Do
you know where could I find such information?

Thank you.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org