[MEncoder-users] Re: quicktime compatible mp4 using x264encopts?

Jeff Clagg snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Sat Jul 1 01:32:25 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 04:59:31PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> afaik bframes are default with x264. you need bframes=0 to disable
> them, in which case x264 is hardly better than mpeg4.

Actually b-frames aren't used by default.

Otherwise, defaults when using libavcodec (-ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=x264) are completely different than when using x264 directly (-ovc
x264...). Also -ovc x264 doesn't give you any way to set vglobal, which
probably means you're generating illegal files when you use
lavf to mux to mp4. I have no idea if that's the source of the problem.