[MEncoder-users] a question

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 30 02:09:55 CET 2006

On Sunday 29 January 2006 17:33, Kirill Radzikhovskyy wrote:
> Hey, I use mencoder to convert divx movies to DVD mpg, for further
> DVD authoring,
> dvdauthor only accepts MPEG files of certain resolution that
> corresponds to PAL DVD or NTSC DVD format
> Anyways, that was just introduction
>
> to convert movies i use (copyed from manual)
>
> mencoder -oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf
> scale=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:
>keyint=15:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:aspect=16/9 -ofps 25  -o
> output.mpg input.avi
>
> That works fine with input files that have aspect ratio of 16/9.
>
> However I got this really weird movie, which is like extra wide :P
> its resolution is 640 x 272.
> When I use the listed above command, it literally shrinks it to
> 720:576 (pal dvd format) and all faces become like squashed.
> I was wondering , is there a way, not to scale it , but to cut that
> extra wideness to make it usual 16/9, for proper convertion
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kirill R

    640:272 is cinemascope 2.35:1  The correct aspect for wide screen
theater movies.  For lack of a better method an understandin, I also
use a 'copied' example to resize (mb's) movies. Often correctin
aspect (scale) in the process. An croppin too, specially bin/cue
stuff (after convertin to .mpg, with 'vcdxrip').

mencoder input.xxx -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:keyint=132:vbitrate=2200 -vf
crop=xxx:xxx:8:68,scale=640:272 -oac mp3lame -o output.avi

input.xxx can be several formats, eg, .mpg, bin, .avi, .vob, etc.,
maybe others.

vbitrate= can be varied to suit. I use it in conjunction with scale=
to target either 700mb or 1400mb. Which I split to fit on CDr's. I
try to stay above 900br.

crop= should first be run as 'cropdetect' for at least 30 seconds of
encoding time. Allows crop to settle on proper numbers that should
then be used when you start over. Proper crop also opens the
opportunity to increase scale an br.

scale= as above varied, but try'n to maintain 2.35:1 for cinemascope.
16:9 for TV like stuff, an 1.33:1 for fullscreen. The acid test is
round things should be round, square=square, an people shouldn't look
like 10' tall anorexics, or overly plump like the Michelin Man ;)

   EG, a movie I'm re-encodin as I type is set to 1373br, an 688:292
to target 1400+mb's. crop wasn't needed, but I often find it's better
to use it even when the movie doesn't need cropping. I use
transcode's 'avisplit' to divide into < 703 mb to fit CDr's. There's
also 'avisync' to fix A/V mismatch if needed.  Usually a 1410 or so
mb file, will split into <703 mb parts. CDr ready

   I've done a lot of usenet d/l's this way. 100's, damn near a 1,000.
If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears ;)  Of course this is all with
Linux, I have no idea about that other OS

--
	Tom Brinkman		      Corpus Christi, Texas