[MEncoder-users] aspect and audio problems

Phil Payne phil at payneinthe.com
Fri Jan 20 12:01:40 CET 2006

Raphael wrote:

> I am trying to reencode a dvd which I ripped using mencoder. My test
> command line is
>
> mencoder dvd.avi  -endpos 120 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
> bitrate=600:vhq=4:qpel:autoaspect  -oac mp3lame -af pan=1:0.5:0.5
> -channels 1 -lameopts abr:br=64   -o test1.avi
>
> (I want to mix the stereo down to mono so that I can get half decent
> sound quality with 64kbps.)
>

> However, when I play back test1.avi I get a number of problems. Here
> are two of them.
>
> 1) The sound still seems to be in two channels.
>
> 2) The aspect ratio is wrong on play back (things are squashed
> horizontally and stretched vertically)
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong?

<Snip>

On the aspect... the video seems to be in the original DVD PAL format of
720 x 576, which will look odd when played if the correct aspect isn't
applied.

If you want the video to automatically play at the correct aspect
(without using mencoder and setting aspect) then I would resize it to
soemthing acceptable to you using -vf scale=xxx:yyy

Can't help you on the audio front, sorry.

Thanks,
Phil.