[MEncoder-users] non-interleaved mkv file

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Thu Jan 5 22:49:21 CET 2006

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 05 January 2006 at 19:38, Phil Ehrens wrote:
> > I have a non-interleaved mkv file that plays fine in mplayer,
>
> Explain non-interleaved in this context. Is this even a valid
> Matroska file?

Well, it is an mkv file that behaves exactly like a non-interleaved
avi container... so I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that it was some
sort of mkv analogue to a non-interleaved avi.

> > but when I use it as input to mencoder the a/v sync fails.
> >
> > Using the ni, -mc and -bps/nobps options in various combinations
> > seems to have no effect at all.
> >
> > Is there a way to leverage the ability of mplayer to play the
> > file as input for mencoder using a pipe or fifo?
> >
> > Would that be likely to solve the problem? I suspect it will
> > not, but perhaps there is a "trick" that somebody knows for
> > dealing with these things.
>
> Try remuxing it with latest mkvtoolnix and then feeding it to mencoder.

I just installed the latest mkvtoolnix, and I see that it now handles
demuxing of files with vobsubs correctly, so I demuxed, and the resulting
avi, mp3, idx, and sub files seem perfectly sane... so it appears that
the mkv source file was created using some brain-damaged options.
Again, I may be making unreasonable assumptions... I don't know anything
at all about matroska.

I have absolutely no idea how to do mkv muxing, so I will just use
the demuxed component streams for my encodes.

I would be happy to try muxing it with the mkvtools if somebody cares
to supply the invocation. I have no particular need to learn to create
matroska containers. It is surprising to me whenever mencoder fails
to handle something that mplayer can play properly. Is it unreasonable
to assume that mplayer's import engine is similar to mencoder's?