[MEncoder-users] What is the propper name for the ALSA devices now?

matija at serverflow.com matija at serverflow.com
Mon Feb 27 18:01:32 CET 2006

I used to be able to record movies with sound without problems on my machine, but now I upgraded the kernel
(and other stuff), and the emu10k that I was recording sound from is no longer the default alsa device.

So in order to record sound again, I had to add an adevice parameter to my recording call. However, the
method listed in "man mencoder" (adevice=hw=1.0) doesn't seem to work. I also tried =hw=1,0 and
adevice=1,0 and adevice=1.0 and none of them seem to work. (I get a "no such file or directory error).

What is the current correct method of referring to Alsa devices in my tv:// options?

My mencoder version is:
MEncoder 1.0pre7-3.3.5 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team

and I'm using Debian unstable...

Thanks for any help!

Matija