[MEncoder-users] Converting 1080i to 720p [new to list]

Wayne Arant wayne.arant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 17:46:03 CET 2006

Hello all.
I'm new to the list and mencoder.
I have an HDTV capture that I have been having a lot of trouble with, and
from my research It looks like it either changes framerate or (the more
likely case) it is flipping back and forth between hard and soft telecined.
I've tried several things just poking around, and I've been reading as much
of the manual as I can follow, but I'm new to the whole idea (I previously
only used GUI type programs to re-encode without much concern for the
settings)

I used this as my command line:
mencoder -ovc lavc -oac copy -vf pullup,softskip -ofps 24000/1001 -laccopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:trell:mbd=2 -o output.mpg input.ts

What I end up with is a strange slow really choppy video with terrible green
blocks all over the place.
I tried to make sure I understood the options and that I did the right
thing, but clearly this is wrong.
Can someone shed some light on my problem for me?

Thanks,
Wayne

p.s. I had previously been using FFMPEG, with better success, but can't seem
to fix the choppiness.