PROBABLY SOLVED Re: [MEncoder-users] mencoder + mplex problem

Tomáš Bažant tomas.bazant at rozhlas.cz
Fri Feb 17 10:29:40 CET 2006

thank you for your advice, it helped me. But what if I have avi with ac3
track and do not want to recode it but just mux it? the mencoder manual
recommends using -oac copy but even if it looks logic and is fairly well
playable in mencoder, no hw dvd player will actually play the resulting
DVD authored by dvdauthor - and it is not dvdauthor mistake.....

i discovered the following procedure which will probably work for me:

# join AVIs (if they are more than one)
nice -n +5 mencoder -of avi -oac copy -ovc copy -o serenity.avi
serenity.cd1.avi serenity.cd2.avi

# extract audio track from the result
nice -n +5 mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile serenity.ac3 serenity.avi

# do the video encoding itself
nice -n +10 \
mencoder serenity.avi \
-of mpeg \
-mpegopts format=dvd \
-ofps 24000/1001 \
-vf scale=720:-10,expand=720:576,harddup \
-nosound \
-ovc lavc \
-lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:keyint=15:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=6500:aspect=4/3:dc=10:nr=300
\
-o serenity.tmp.m2v

# extract raw mpeg2 video stream from the result
nice -n +5 mplayer -dumpvideo -dumpfile serenity.m2v serenity.tmp.m2v

# mux the video together with the audio
nice -n +5 mplex -f 8 -o serenity.nosub.mpeg serenity.tmp.m2v serenity.ac3