[MEncoder-users] x264 decoded too slow

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Feb 1 11:02:41 CET 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 03:27:44 +0100
Aleksandar Uzelac <uzi at galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:

> because of me=4 and me_range=24 it took 15 days to finish this
> compression.

The first time I compressed a movie to MPEG-4, it took about 2 weeks on
my 233MHz system as well.

>   i still cannot belive that video decompression can take 50+% of
>   3.2GHz CPU power, usually it's 1-3%.
>
>   is this normal for x264?

Yes, h.264 is quite new, and very CPU-intensive.  Things will probably
get better as time goes by and the codec gets speed optimizations.

For playback speed-ups, look at -lavdopts in the man page ("fast"
"skiploopfilter" "skipidct" etc)

A few other codecs are equally CPU-intensive...  Try encoding/playback
with snow, VP7, WMV9, etc.