[MEncoder-users] EDL cuts not working with TS files.

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Fri Dec 29 02:14:16 CET 2006

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, stattik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I successfully used EDL files to edit mpg files for awhile and now I'm
> working with TS files and I noticed that mencoder seems to ignore the EDL
> files.
>
> Here's the command line:
>
> mencoder.exe input.ts  -edl input.edl -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1024
> -oac mp3lame -o output.avi
>
> Here's the contents of the EDL file:
>
> 3.03    3658.35    0

mencoder uses the timestamps in the file.  With TS captures from TV, the
time stamps don't start at zero (obviously the tv station doesn't start
broadcasting the second you happen to start your capture and go off the air
the second you stop).

If you play the file with mplayer, and generate the EDL file with mplayer's
-edl-out feature, you will probably find that your file really starts at
second 30,000 or something like that.

BTW, you will get more precise skipping if you also use -hr-edl-seek with
mencoder.