[MEncoder-users] Spliting bilingual audio into separate streams

Duncan Webb duncan-mp at linuxowl.com
Wed Dec 20 21:58:43 CET 2006

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12/20/06, Duncan Webb <duncan-mp at linuxowl.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I hope that this is not a stupid question, having looked around a bit
>> the answer is not too easy to find.
>>
>> A mpeg stream recorded from the television sometimes has bilingual
>> audio, i.e. the left channel is English and the right channel is German,
>> rather than two audio streams. Is it possible to separate the audio with
>> mencoder into to separate streams with one language coming out from both
>> speakers?
>>
>> And if so what are the correct options?
>
> You should be able to get what you want with audio filters -af
> channels and -af pan

Must admit, I had already figure out channels. I didn't realise that the
pan filter could do this though.

Something like, for channels:
-af channels=2:2:0:0:0:1 pan 2:0
-af channels=2:2:1:1:1:0 pan 2:1

I just don't understand the pan option, who can read and understand
this, and what do negative value mean?
pan=2:.32:.32:.39:.06:.06:.39:.17:-.17:-.17:.17:.33:.33

Thanks,
Duncan