[MEncoder-users] encoding mjpeg video and pcm_u8 audio

john smith caliguido at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 11 11:09:28 CET 2006

I'm trying to recode some video to play on my digital
camera.  I cannot get mencoder to spit out videos with
pcm_u8 audio though.

i try
mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mjpeg:mbd=1:vbitrate=250:acodec=pcm_u8 -af
pan=1:0.5:0.5:channels=1:abitrate=88 -srate 16000 -oac
lavc -fps 14.009 -vop scale=320:240 -o output.avi
input.mpg

which runs without errors, but the audio always comes
out at pcm s16le, not pcm u8.  I've also tried adding
format=u8 to the -af parameters, and using -oac pcm
instead of lavc, but nothing seems to get u8.
am i doing something wrong?

additionally, specifying vbitrate seems to have no
influence on what the video bitrate actually is.  is
there some different way to control file size on mjpeg
video than bitrate?

Im using MPlayer 1.0rc1-3.2.3

thanks