[MEncoder-users] re: how capture real video stream

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Dec 11 01:48:33 CET 2006

Dieter wrote:

>>> core dumped
>>
>> That's not a failure. The actual message is "Core dumped ;)" - the
>> winking smiley indicates a joke; what it is saying is that the core
>> of the stream was dumped into the file. Check the directory, and
>> the filename you specified should be there with the stream in it.
>
> It is a failure to communicate clearly.

But it's not a failure of the requested operation, which is the point.

You're not going to get argument from me about its being misleading;
however, the ones who would have to be convinced are people like Rich
Felker, who seem to be of the opinion that the observed rate of failure
to interpret the mesage correctly is nowhere near high enough to justify
removing the inside joke.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.