[MEncoder-users] re: how capture real video stream

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Dec 11 00:39:53 CET 2006

Rex Pemberton wrote:

> The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Rex Pemberton wrote:
>>
>>> yo people,
>>>
>>> this is my first posting and very newbie.
>>>
>>> i want to capture real video streams from the internet, in
>>> particular 'mit world'. they have some very cool stuff that would
>>> be worth having on the hard disk to watch again.
>>>
>>> how do i do that?
>>
>> mplayer <URL> -dumpstream -dumpfile <filename>
>
> thanks for your reply Wanderer. but if i do that mplayer refuses,
> saying:
>
> file not seekable

That's not an error, that's just an informational message.

Note that it is almost never a good idea to retype text from the output
of MPlayer; you should copy-and-paste it. Note also that it is only
slightly more often a good idea to omit *any part* of the output, no
matter how irrelevant it seems; you should paste the entire thing.

> core dumped

That's not a failure. The actual message is "Core dumped ;)" - the
winking smiley indicates a joke; what it is saying is that the core of
the stream was dumped into the file. Check the directory, and the
filename you specified should be there with the stream in it.

Many people, including most of the time me, think that this message is a
sufficiently misleading to be a bad idea - but enough of the developers
are strongly attached to it that the chances of its ever being removed
are exceedingly slim.

Also, please learn to quote correctly and attribute correctly. I've
reorganized the quotes from your post into a more appropriate form for
this reply.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.