[MEncoder-users] segfault when using "probesize"

Benjamin Adler benadler at gmx.net
Sun Dec 10 11:38:03 CET 2006

Hello!

I'm using

mencoder dvb://"NDR FS HH" -o out.mpg -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -demuxer
lavf -lavfdopts probesize=256 -oac copy -ovc copy -endpos 00:30:00

to record DVB-C to mpeg files on linux. I was told by Nico to use

	-of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -demuxer lavf -lavfopts probesize=128

because I had problems with a/v-sync when using

-of mpeg -mpegopts 'format=dvd:tsaf:drop:vaspect=16/9' -vf harddup.

The sync became better, but not perfect. I tried increasing the probesize
and it seems when using a probesize of at least 256, the sync becomes
perfect.

The problem is, the higher the probesize, the more likely mencoder is to
crash. As I schedule my recordings, this often means that a show is not
recorded at all.

This is an example output of the above (first) command:

MEncoder dev-SVN-r20171-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) processor (Family: 6, Model: 4, Stepping: 4)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
dvb_tune Freq: 386000000
success: format: 29  data: 0x0 - 0x0
libavformat file format detected.
Segmentation fault

- Why does the probesize parameter affect a/v-sync so much. What exactly
does this parameter do? The manpage is not very helpful here ("This value
identifies the maximum number of TS packets to scan during the detection
phase")

- Why does mencoder crash, how can I (help to) fix it? Should I recompile
with debug information and post a backtrace?

thanks!
ben