[MEncoder-users] Using HRTF in Mencoder?

Walter Belhaven wbelhaven at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 06:45:19 CET 2006

Hi,

What's the proper way to "downmix" an AC3 DD 5.1 soundtrack to stereo,
taking advantage of the HRTF audio filter, for use with, say, a
portable video device?  I'd like to take the movie with me and play it
back using my video device, and I really like how HRTF sounds in
headphones when fed a DD 5.1 soundtrack.  That's, of course, when
listening on my PC and using mplayer; but, for some strange reason, my
video device doesn't have mplayer on it. :)

So, in the process of transcoding/shrinking the video, I'd like to
transcode the AC3 5.1 audio to 2 channel (e.g., AC3 2.0) using hrtf.  I
imagine I need to use the pan filter in conjunction with hrtf, but I
don't quite understand how these two work with each other, if at all.
I'd appreciate any help you folks can give me.

Cheers,
WB