[MEncoder-users] Vbitrate not honored?

Stefan Neufeind mencoder at stefan-neufeind.de
Fri Aug 25 01:19:12 CEST 2006

Hi,

I did try to convert WMV3 (on x86, 32bit) to FLV with:

mencoder demo.wmv -o demo.flv -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=56
-ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=500:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3 -srate 22050

When using pre7.2 (compiled version from from dag.wieers.com) the
automatic detected framerate was not okay. When adding "-fps 15"
manually it was fine - but that was not acceptable for automatic use
unfortunately.

So I decided to give pre8 (official) as well as an SVN-checkout of today
a try. Both required:

 -lavfopts i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames

(Any plans when that might be fixed?)

Framerates seems to be fine on the resulting video - even without giving
an explicit fps. But the file is *much* smaller now. Using VLC it looks
like the videobitrate dropped to about 100kbit, though I did give
vbitrate=500 (which is kbit/s).

Any ideas why vbitrate might not be honoured anymore? Am I using a wrong
paramter-set for conversion?

On encoding another video (DivX) to FLV the file grew larger than it was
before - with the same commandline I gave above. Video-bitrate seems to
vary between 700kbit and 1500kbit (in passages of fast movement). Also
there vbitrate does not seem to be honoured?

Some short feedback/ideas to help out would be very much appreciated!

Regards,
 Stefan