[MEncoder-users] Inverse telecine? framerate from 120000/1001 to 24000/1001

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 23 08:33:02 CEST 2006

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Corey Hickey wrote:
> Munzuk wrote:
>
>> The original source... no idea.. I guess it must be Japan NTSC TV
>
> Well, what I'm wondering is how exactly the framerate ended up being
> 120000/1001. The video you posted doesn't have any visible interlacing
> artifacts, and each frame is repeated 4 or 5 times (I didn't see a regular
> pattern, but I didn't look very hard). I also saw one or two frames that were
> "torn" in the middle--the top part the same as the next frame, but bottom
> part the same as the previous.

120000/1001 fps is common enough. It means that the original broadcast had
some parts 24fps telecined and some parts 30fps progressive, and the guy
who captured it did ivtc and converted it back to variable framerate. Then
they stuffed it in avi. vfr in avi is accomplished by setting avi's
timebase to the least common multiple of the two framerates, and putting
null frames in between each real frame.
I don't know how the torn frames got in there, though.

--Loren Merritt